Hi! I’m Beth. I’m so glad you have found your way here. Welcome! Since you’ve clicked on the “About” page, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that you want to know a little bit more about me. So, here are a few of the most important facts to know.
– I am married to my favorite person. His name is Michael, and he doesn’t like pickles.
– We have a daughter named Vida (aka Mini-Me), and she is the best of both of us. Her name has nothing to do with Michael McConaughey.
– I love pickles. So does Vida.
– I once wrote an “Ode to Avocado.”
– I could live on potatoes with homemade non-dairy sour cream for the rest of my life.
– If you quote a line from the The Office or Friends, I can most likely finish the quote, give you the context around the quote, and possibly name the season and episode that contains the quote. I’m not sure what this says about me, but whatever it is, it’s gotta be a good thing.
– I once lost 80 pounds over the course of 10 months. 3 years later, I found them again. And that brings me to…
What does “Eat Within Your Means” mean?
Eat Within Your Means is a twofold personal goal, one that I believe is not unique to me. The basic idea is to get to the place where I feel most comfortable in my skin and then stay there, without breaking the bank. It’s the “Everything In Moderation, Provided Your Jeans Still Fit and You’re Not Flat Broke Diet” (Copyright!). As you might have gathered, I’m not there right now. I was there, a few years ago, and I know I can get there again. By sharing my journey with others I hope to stay there permanently. And thus, Eat Within Your Means was born. Each week, I will share plant-based (vegan) recipes and cooking tips to fatten your wallet and skinny your jeans. That means that I will always be looking to share the most economical options for both your pocketbook and your pants, whether that be cooking chickpeas from scratch or sharing ways to limit or eliminate oil (it’s easier than you might think!). Along the way I will share my personal successes and struggles on the path to “finding my means” and I hope you will share yours too!
Are you Vegan?
So, here’s the thing. I am not a big fan of labels. I think they are polarizing and create division. I’ve seen some pretty nasty stuff go on in comment threads for vegan food blogs, and it makes me sad. So, here’s what I will say. Predominately, I eat a diet free of animal products, and for the foreseeable future, the recipes on this site will reflect that preference. So if you are looking for dairy-free, egg-free, and meat-free recipes, that are both healthy and affordable, you are in the right place! I’m so glad you’re here!
I have more questions!
I have more answers! Please contact me here or e-mail beth (at) eatwithinyourmeans (dot) com.